Toasted Almond Cherry Scones with Stevia
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp Celtic Sea Salt® Brand Fine Ground salt
- ¾ cup ghee* or unsalted butter
- 15 - 30 drops Stevia**, depending on sweetness desired
- ½ cup Selina Naturally® Organic Roasted Almonds, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp soy milk or cow milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil one cup of water and pour over cherries. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and Celtic Sea Salt®.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in the ghee* or butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add almonds.
- Drain cherries and add to the mixture. Mix well.
- Combine the egg, milk, and stevia**, then add.
- Stir until dough begins to hold together.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 6-8 times.
- Roll dough to a thickness of 1 inch.
- Cut into shapes with a 2-inch cookie or biscuit cutter.
- Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
*Ghee is wonderful to bake with but is semi-solid at room temperature. In order to make scones, refrigerate the ¾ cup ghee for 4 hours before making this recipe, or use cold butter instead.
**Fifteen drops of stevia produces a very lightly sweet scone; add up to 45 drops for sweeter scones.
~ Makes 12 servings.
Recipe created by Sabrina Marie Thomas