Spring Millet "Meatloaf" With Sprouted Walnut Pesto
INGREDIENTS (Spring Millet "Meatloaf") ~
- 1 ½ cups Millet, soaked over night and rinsed
- 3 cups filtered water or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 kombu leaf (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped small, asparagus
- ½ cup chopped small, zucchini
- ¼ cup chopped small, red bell pepper
- ½ cup thawed frozen peas
- ¼ cup thawed frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt® Garlic Salt
- 1 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt® Herbes De Provence
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated fresh cheddar raw cheese
STEPS (Spring Millet "Meatloaf") ~
- Bring stock or water to a boil in a medium to large pot with a lid.
- Add the teaspoons of Celtic Sea Salt® Garlic Salt and Celtic Sea Salt® Herbes De Provence, kombu and bay leaf.
- Then add the millet and a lower the heat and allow to simmer for a few minutes with the lid on.
- Next add the celery, carrots and onion, stir and allow to cook fully with the lid on for about 20 minutes until millet is done and the water is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Next chop small pieces of asparagus, zucchini, red bell pepper and set aside in a large mixing bowl. Then add thawed peas and corn.
- Once the millet is cooked and cooled add it to the vegetable mixture in the large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and pour it over the millet.
- Mix together all the ingredients, including a small handful of the grated cheese.
- Save the other part of the cheese to top the loaf.
- In loaf pan or deep glass dish coat it with coconut oil.
- Next add the mixture to the pan or dish and even it out to form a loaf shape.
- Then top with the cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes until cooked through.
INGREDIENTS (Sprouted Walnut Pesto) ~
- 1 cup sprouted then lightly toasted organic walnuts
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt®
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
STEPS (Sprouted Walnut Pesto) ~
- Blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Serve cold or room temperature as a topping for the loaf.
This recipe is full of great nutrition and wonderful colors to help you feel the season of spring on your plate! Walnuts are a great source of omega 3 EFA as well as great for helping your body handle stress. Millet is a wonderful grain that is very alkalinizing and naturally gluten free! Enjoy all the goodies in this dish. I'm sure your whole family will love it.
Recipe created by Carla Delangre.