Minestrone Soup With Lamb Sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian lamb sausage
- 2 carrots, cut in julienne strips
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups lamb broth (or chicken or beef stock)
- 28-ounce can tomatoes, undrained and broken up
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning chopped fresh oregano, marjoram, parsley, thyme, and rosemary to taste
- 2 teaspoons Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt®
- 4 ounces vermicelli or angel hair pasta, broken in short lengths
- 1/4 cup frozen lima beans (optional)
- 8 ounces frozen (or chopped fresh) green beans
- Handful of fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt® and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Sauté onion in olive oil in large soup pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add sausage, crumbling it with a wooden spoon.
- Add carrots, garlic, stock, and tomatoes.
- Bring to boil and skim off foam.
- Add seasonings, reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes.
- Add lima beans if desired, green beans, and pasta.
- Cook about 10 minutes until pasta is tender.
- Add fresh spinach just before removing from heat.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese after serving, if desired.
~ Makes 6 servings.
Recipe created by Susan Manata.