Dorit’s Vegan Crispy Cauliflower with Arugula
INGREDIENTS FOR CAULIFLOWER CAKES ~
- 12 ounces cauliflower florets
- 1 peeled baking potato, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 large shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces Daiya cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Organic Smoked Applewood Seasoned Celtic Sea Salt® Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon arrowroot powder mixed in a little cold water
- 1/2 cup toasted Japanese panko breadcrumbs, or coconut flour for a gluten-free option
- 2 tablespoons grated Daiya cheese
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons cashew cream (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons coconut mayonnaise or coconut butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Selina Naturally® Organic Black Peppercorns ground
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch of Bouquet™ Herbes De Provence Celtic Sea Salt®
INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut into halves
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon, juiced
INGREDIENTS FOR CASHEW CREAM
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/4 cups spring water
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Fine Ground Celtic Sea Salt®
- Preheat oven 400°F.
- Place the cauliflower, potato, and shallots on a baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of the rub and mix well. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over the vegetables and toss lightly.
- Bake at 400°F for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- Place cooled cauliflower mixture in a food processor. Pulse until chopped.
- Transfer into a large mixing bowl. Add Daiya cheese, thyme, salt blend, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and arrowroot paste, then stir well.
- Combine the panko crumbs (or coconut flour) and Daiya Cheese in a shallow dish. Using wet hands, shape cauliflower mixture into 8 (1 inch thick) patties. Coat the patties with the panko mixture.
- Place patties on a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown, turn once.
- Next prepare the sauce by mixing together the cashew cream and sauce ingredients into a bowl.
- Then prepare the salad by combining the arugula, tomatoes, oil and lemon juice until coated.
- Plate the dish by placing a cup of the salad in the center of the plate and top with 2 cakes and drizzle a tablespoon of the sauce across the cakes.
- Serve hot.
~ Makes 2 servings.
Recipe created by Dorit Dijk from California, author of Celebrating Our Raw Nature cookbook.