- 1 whole free range organic chicken
- 2 organic fennel bulbs, chopped
- 1 organic celery stalk, chopped
- 3 organic carrots, chopped
- 1 organic red or gold beet, grated
- 1 organic yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunch organic asparagus, chopped
- 2 organic zucchini, chopped
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt® seaweed seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Selina Naturally® Coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed organic lemon juice
- 5-8 cups filtered or spring water
- 1 tablespoon Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt®
- In a large Dutch oven or pot with a tight fitting lid add the 5-8 cups of water, whole chicken and 1 tablespoon Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt®.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees and be sure there is enough room to fit the pot, so have a shelf on the lowest position possible.
- Cover the pot with foil then top with the lid to help seal in the juices as it cooks. Once the oven is heated to the 275 mark, place the pot in the oven and allow to slow cook for 3 hours.
- While the chicken is cooking you can prep the veggies for the soup.
- In a sauté pan heat the coconut oil on medium heat.
- Saute onions, fennel, celery and garlic until they have slightly caramelized. This adds a nice depth of flavor to the soup.
- Once these ingredients have caramelized, add the lemon juice to remove the stuck pieces and then set the pan aside.
- Once chicken is done cooking remove the pot from the oven and turn off the oven.
- Take the chicken out of the pot and place the broth onto the stove and turn on the heat to medium level.
- Add all the spices and herbs along with the onion sauté and all the vegetables excluding the beets.
- Shred and pull apart the meat of the chicken from the bones and leave in a bowl to the side.
- Allow the vegetables to cook until they are tender, then turn off the stove and add the chicken and beets.
- Season with Celtic Sea Salt® and organic pepper to your liking.
Serve hot and enjoy the nourishment with family and friends.
~ Makes 8 servings
~ Cook time: 3.5 hours
Recipe created by Carla Delangre.